Langley Lawn Care – Seven Tips For a Vibrant Lawn
Having a lawn that is healthy and thriving is entirely possible every single season. Jot down the following professional Langley lawn care tips. Easily follow our 7-step plan to get your grass alive and well and lush all season.
- Keep An Eye On The Cut HeightOnly one-third of the grass blade should be cut every time you mow. If you hold fast to following this rule of thumb your lawn will quickly grow deep roots and spread out. This will result in thick and healthy turf which is what you want. In order to follow this advice, you will need to mow more often during the fast growing periods of spring and fall here in British Columbia. Keep in mind that keeping your lawn healthy is the best protection against disease and weeds.
- Change Your DirectionChanging the cut pattern you make with your lawn mower is important every time you mow. Mow in one direction one week and another the next week and so on. By changing your cutting patterns every time you mow, it will keep your turf and soil from compacting and prevent creating ruts in your lawn from where the mower wheels have dug down into your lawn. Since we live in rainy British Columbia it’s essential to do this as making ruts is easier to do when the ground is moist.
Langley Lawn Care
Get the Flash Player to see this content.
- Leave The Grass BehindMulching your lawn is when you mow your grass but don’t bag the clippings. You leave a light layer of grass clippings behind rather than picking them. You can pick up a mulching blade which will help to cut up the grass clippings even finer. For those of you who may be wondering, mulching does not promote thatch. You can also mulch up leaves in the fall.
- Get Them EarlyThe best time to go after those nasty weeds is when they are young. You can use pre-emergence herbicide and similar products to tackle this task. Contact a local nursery about the application process before you proceed. A perfect example is taking care of dandelions in the fall while they store energy for next year. If you get them now your problems with them will be minimal if anything at all the following lawn care season. 🙂
- Don’t Cut CornersIt is important that you get yourself a reliable and solid lawn mower. If you properly look after it, it should last for years and be well worth the investment. The brands we recommend you look at are Honda, John Deere, and Husqvarna. Certain Briggs & Stratton lawn mowers are also acceptable.
- Stick To The MorningThe best time to water your lawn is between 4 a.m. and 9 a.m. in the morning. No excuses. Grab a coffee and make it happen. Watering at this time makes sure the sun won’t steal the moisture from your lawn. It also gives your lawn the best chance to dry in the morning. Water at night you ask? Watering at night can often lead to disease so resist doing this. Only one to two inches of water each week is needed by your lawn to stay healthy.
- Don’t Over Do ItThe experts at the fertilizer company know what they are doing when they tell you how much product to apply and how often to apply it to your grass. Spreading more fertilizer than is required hurts your lawn and will most likely end up causing damage. Always follow the instructions. Stick with this – one pound of water-soluble nitrogen per 1,000 square feet is the maximum amount established lawns should have applied to them at one time. 🙂
We hope this information about Langley lawn care tips has been useful. Please click the Facebook LIKE button below and leave a comment for us. You can also request a complimentary lawn and garden quote right now.