Surrey Lawn Care Services – How To Get a Healthy Lawn In 10 Steps
If you want to get your lawn healthy and green we want to let you know that it is possible. Take out a pen and make a note of the following professional Surrey lawn care tips. It is an easy process. All you need to do is follow our 10-step plan to get your healthy and lush.
- Keep an Eye On The HeightStick to only cutting one-third of the grass blade off. If you stick to following this suggestion your lawn will develop deep roots and spread out. This will result in thick and dense turf. In order to follow this tip, you will need to mow more often during the fast growing periods of spring and fall here in British Columbia. Keep in mind that keeping your lawn healthy is the best protection against disease and weeds.
- Watch Those Cut PatternsBe sure to change up the pattern you do when you mow the lawn. Mow in one direction one week and another the next week and so on. By alternating your mowing patterns every time you mow will keep the turf and soil from compacting and prevent creating ruts in your lawn from where the mower wheels have dug down into your lawn.
Surrey Lawn Care
- It Is a Good Thing To MulchMulching is great to do. Mulching is when you mow your grass but don’t bag the clippings. You leave a light layer of grass clippings behind. You can even purchase a mulching blade which will help to cut up the grass clippings even finer. Mulching does not promote thatch, for those of you who may be wondering. 🙂 Mulching also works in the fall. You can mulch up fallen leaves.
- Get Those WeedsWhen the weeds are young is the ideal time to get after them. This means using pre-emergence herbicide and similar products. Consult with a local nursery about the application processes. A perfect example is taking care of dandelions in the fall while they store energy for next year. If you get them now your problems with them will be minimal if anything at all the following season.
- No Cutting CornersHas your lawn mower ever been hard to start? Ever seen your neighbour nearly break their arm trying to start a mower that won’t turn over? Make sure to get yourself a solid lawn mower. If you properly look after it, it should last for years and be well worth the investment. Start your search by looking for brands such as Honda, John Deere, and Husqvarna. Certain Briggs & Stratton lawn mowers are also acceptable.
- Keep Your Lawn Equipment PrimedMake sure to tune up your lawn equipment each and every season. By doing so you won’t end up being the neighbour every one is looking at who can’t start their mower. Affordable tune-up kits are available at local stores in Surrey and other surrounding Greater Vancouver cities. You will want oil, a spark plug, an air filter, and some fuel stabilizer for when you put your power equipment away for the winter. Keep the blades sharp too.
- The Best Time Is In The MorningIt seems like everyone and their dog has an opinion about the best time to water. We see so many home owners watering during the day and that is generally the worse time of day to carry out such a task. Water between 4 a.m. and 9 a.m. in the morning. This makes sure the sun won’t steal the moisture from your lawn. It also gives your lawn the best chance to dry in the morning. Water at night you ask? Watering at night can often lead to disease so resist doing this. Only one to two inches of water each week is needed by your lawn to stay healthy.
- Stick With The BestBe sure to make a note of this Surrey lawn care golden rule – you get what you pay for. When it comes to grass seed, you can bet your hard earned money that this is true here too. The cheaper the seed, the greater chance that there are weed seeds in the bag. This will inevitably lead to you spreading weed seeds throughout your lawn. Here is a tip. Look for a label on the grass seed bag that shows the seed-to-weed ratio (the percentage of the bag that is grass seed vs. weed seed). The number you want to see is less than 0.1 percent of weed seeds. If there is no label on the bag with this information, do not purchase it.
- Keep It SimpleThis ninth lawn care tip has us shaking our heads. We cannot tell you how many lawn mowing clients we have had over the years who wanted to fertilize their own lawn that did not follow the instructions on the. Use everything in moderation. The experts at the fertilizer company know what they are doing when they tell you how much product to apply and how often to apply it. Whatever you do, putting down more fertilizer will not help your grass. It will most likely do damage. Always follow the instructions. Stick with this – one pound of water-soluble nitrogen per 1,000 square feet is the maximum amount established lawns should have applied to them at one time. 🙂
- Respect The PlanetOkay, this isn’t the time where we get all “earthy” on you and go all “Al Gore” 🙂 . The truth is that less than 2% of the total emissions output per year is made up of lawn mower emissions. It may be small, but homeowners can take several steps to further reduce harmful emissions. You can do this by air filter and oil after about 24 hours of operation. Make sure you do not tip the mower during any form of maintenance when the fuel tank is full.
We sincerely hope you got some good content from this article about Surrey lawn care tips. Please click the Facebook LIKE button below and leave a comment. You can also request a free lawn and garden quote from us today.