Vancouver Lawn Care – Tips To Getting a Green Lawn
If you want to get a fresh and green lawn this year then we want to let you know that it is entirely possible. There are really only a handful of steps you need to take to make this happen. Make a note of the following professional Vancouver lawn care tips and write them down. If you do, we are sure you will meet with some gardening success this season. 🙂
- Whats The Height?It’s optimal to only cut one-third of the grass blade off. In doing so, you help your lawn develop deep roots and you enable it to spread out more easily. Is it worth it? The end result will be a green, thick and healthy turf. Keep in mind that in order to follow this tip, it is necessary to mow more often during the fast growing periods of spring and fall here in Vancouver, British Columbia. Remember that maintain a healthy lawn is your best protection against disease and weeds.
- Switch Up Your Lawn Cutting PatternsChange the pattern that you cut your grass every time you mow. Mow in one direction one week and another the next week and so on and so forth. By alternating your mowing patterns every time you mow will keep the turf and soil from compacting and prevent creating ruts in your lawn from where the mower wheels have dug down into your lawn.
Vancouver Lawn Care
- Don’t Bag The Grass ClippingsHave you heard of mulching? This is when you mow your grass but don’t bag the clippings. You leave a light layer of grass clippings behind. You can even purchase a mulching blade which will help to cut up the grass clippings even finer. Mulching does not promote thatch, for those of you who may be wondering. 🙂 Mulching also works in the fall. You can mulch up fallen leaves.
- Get The Weeds While They Are Young!The optimal time to get after weeds is when they are young. This means using pre-emergence herbicide and similar products. Consult with a local nursery about the application processes. A perfect example is taking care of dandelions in the fall while they store energy for next year. If you get them now your problems with them will be minimal if anything at all the following season.
- Look For The BestBe sure to get yourself a reputable and reliable lawn mower. If you properly look after it, it should last for years and be well worth the investment. Start your search by looking for brands such as Honda, John Deere, and Husqvarna. Certain Briggs & Stratton lawn mowers are also acceptable.
- Keep It Tuned UpKeep your lawn equipment in prime condition by tuning everything up each season. By doing so you won’t end up being the neighbour every one is looking at who can’t start their mower. Affordable tune-up kits are available at local stores in Surrey and other surrounding Greater Vancouver cities. You will want oil, a spark plug, an air filter, and some fuel stabilizer for when you put your power equipment away for the winter. Keep the blades sharp too.
- In The Morning, PleaseNot everything we hear about watering our lawn and hedges are true. Make sure to water between 4 a.m. and 9 a.m. in the morning. This makes sure the sun won’t steal the moisture from your lawn. It also gives your lawn the best chance to dry in the morning. Water at night you ask? Watering at night can often lead to disease so resist doing this. Only one to two inches of water each week is needed by your lawn to stay healthy.
- You Get What You Pay ForRemember this Vancouver lawn and garden golden rule – you get what you pay for. When it comes to grass seed, you can bet your hard earned money that this is true here too. The cheaper the seed, the greater chance that there are weed seeds in the bag. This will inevitably lead to you spreading weed seeds throughout your lawn. Here is a suggestion. Look for a label on the grass seed bag that shows the seed-to-weed ratio (the percentage of the bag that is grass seed vs. weed seed). The number you want to see is less than 0.1 percent of weed seeds. If there is no label on the bag with this information, do not purchase it.
- In ModerationTrust the fertilizer company’s suggestions. They know what they are doing when they tell you how much product to apply and how often to apply it. Whatever you do, putting down more fertilizer will not help your grass. It will most likely do damage. Always follow the instructions. Stick with this – one pound of water-soluble nitrogen per 1,000 square feet is the maximum amount established lawns should have applied to them at one time. 🙂
- Stay GreenAl Gore has a point. The truth is that less than 2% of the total emissions output per year is made up of lawn mower emissions. It may be small, but homeowners can take several steps to further reduce harmful emissions. You can do this by air filter and oil after about 24 hours of operation. Make sure you do not tip the mower during any form of maintenance when the fuel tank is full.
We hope you found these Vancouver lawn care tips useful. Please take a second to click the Facebook LIKE button below and leave a comment. You can also request a free lawn and garden quote from us today.